Thursday, November 14, 2013

Choosing Gratitude Day 8

Day 8

James 4:6–10


Gratitude is the overflow of a humble heart, just as 

surely as an ungrateful, complaining spirit flows out 

of a proud heart. Proud people are wrapped up in 

themselves. If people or circumstances don’t please 

or suit them, they are prone to whine or become 

resentful.


A humble person thinks much of God and others and 

little of himself. He recognizes that anything he has is 

better than he deserves. He doesn’t feel anyone owes 

him anything. He doesn’t feel entitled to have more, 

or for life to be easy, or for everyone to love him and 

treat him well. He’s grateful for the least little 

kindness that’s extended to him, knowing it’s more 

than he deserves.


Make a list of anything you can recall “whining” about 

recently. How does your complaining manifest a spirit 

of pride, entitlement, and expectations?


Then take time to sit quietly before the Lord. Confess 

any pride that has shown itself in complaining, 

irritability, anger, or resentment, rather than giving of 

thanks. Humbly tell Him that you don’t deserve any of 

His favor, and give Him thanks for any specific recent 

blessings He brings to mind.


Wow! I have to say this “hit home” and came at a perfect time! This morning during my “5 step plan” devotional (that’s my nickname and I’ll talk more about it at a later time), while writing my 5 confessions, I confessed that I had realized the day before I was struggling with self-pity. Woe is me. *wink* It most certainly is the wrong attitude to have!

Plus as you know to my shame I have been struggling with bitterness = anger/resentment. I find the stress brings out anger in my heart. It’s ugly! It’s not easy, but God is working on and sanctifying me.

I have never thought of it as being pride though. Honestly that’s hard to hear. But I’m glad to hear it!

Now I’m off to pray and ask God to reveal any more pride.

I don’t know about you, but this list might take me a few days to finish writing, as God works in my heart.


I would LOVE to pray for you! Do you have any prayer requests?


For His Glory,



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...