Monday, November 25, 2013

Choosing Gratitude Day 16




Day 16


Psalm 30



The word “sing” occurs over one 

hundred times in the Bible—more than 

sixty of them in the book of Psalms 

alone. Verses 4 and 12 in today’s 

passage both tie singing and giving 

thanks together. There are a number of 

illustrations in Scripture of the powerful 

effect of praise through music.


When I talk with women who are 

struggling with chronic discouragement 

or depression, I often ask two 

questions: (1) Are you memorizing 

Scripture? and (2) Are you singing to 

the Lord? These aren’t magic “pills” 

that will make every emotional struggle 

go away, but I’ve found them to be 

extremely effective at recalibrating my 

heart and restoring inner peace. At 

times, when I am deeply distraught or 

discouraged, I’ll open my hymnal and 

just begin to sing. As I sing to the 

Lord, my heart and mind are re-

tethered to His goodness and love, and 

invariably, the cloud begins to lift.


Whether it’s a cloudy or sunny day in 

your heart, sing! Right now, if possible. 

Put on a CD or your iPod and sing along 

with others, or just sing to Him on your 

own.

I love this! 

I'm terrible about memorizing scripture, I wish I was better. I'll do great for a while, then "Fall off the band wagon." I was never taught to MEMORIZE scripture growing up. I read my Bible all the time, but never memorized it, my husband was the one to introduce me to it. Though it's a newer concept to me, I believe it's an important one! 

We have the freedom to study God's word and shouldn't take it for granted you never know when you wont be able to. It makes me think of Darlene Rose's story. She was a missionary and became a POW and could only "feed" off of what she had memorized and it's true God's word keeps us going through our struggles.

I find it hard to pray lately. How do I explain that statement?? I feel so overwhelmed by everything, when I'm trying to pray it's like..."God you know our situation and EVERYTHING that is going on. Help!!" *smile*

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Rom. 8:26

I find often when I do try and pray it turns into singing. *smile* I sing and praise God. I can feel overwhelmed when I focus on everything to pray and I just singing and praising HIM instead. It happened this morning in the shower, I started praying and felt distraught and discouraged and just start singing and praising instead.

I find myself singing this song lately. It's one of my favorites!


In Christ Alone





Do you memorize scripture? What is one of your favorite songs to sing, praising God?

For His Glory,





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...