Sunday, May 5, 2013

THM "Fooled Ya Pizza"



Since we are home sick today, I thought it would be a nice day to share one recipe out of the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook.

Since I can no longer have grain (it's causing my blood sugar to drop and weight to stick on my rear *wink*)... what's a girl to do during "pizza nights"???? Augh! Everyone else is eating pizza!! 

Thanks to Serene and Pearl, I can now join my family and eat pizza!. Ya! They have a recipe in their new Trim Healthy Mama cook called, "Fooled Ya Pizza." The crust is made with cauliflower. 

Cauliflower?!? 

YES, cauliflower you heard me correctly. *wink* 

Umm...that doesn't sound too appealing!

 Wait! I know it doesn't, but my husband and I decided to try it and to our surprise it was actually good! *smile* You should try it. No really you SHOULD! Here is is:

Fooled Ya Pizza

1. Lightly steam 1 (16oz) bag of frozen cauliflower. (I only had a head of fresh cauliflower and used that.)

2. Put lightly steamed cauliflower in colander and press out as much water as possible. (I used a big spoon to press it with.) The less water the crispier it will be.

3. Transfer cauliflower to a food processor and pulse a few times, NOT to much. You want rice-size pieces.

4. Add 3/4cup egg whites and pulse again a few times. (You can also just use 3 eggs. That's what I did.)

5. Add 2 cups grated part skim mozzarella cheese, pinch of sea salt, dash or two of Italian seasoning, and a little onion or garlic powder to taste.

6. Mix ingredients together well with a spatula inside the food processor.

7. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease parchment well (this is important or the crust will stick.).

8. Plop entire mixture onto the middle of the tray and start spreading it outwards with a spatula or with your hands until it covers most of the sheet. Try not to have a thicker middle than sides. (If you have a perfectionist husband like mine, you wont have to worry about that! He spent quite a bit of time fixing my spreading job. *smile*). Keep pressing until mixture almost touches the edges of the sheet. This crust is better thin, but don't let the edges become wispy thin or they will get too dark when they cook (it puffs up a bit after cooking).

9. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. (Pearl turns hers over after 15 minutes to crisp the bottom. She flips it including the parchment paper, then removes the parchment paper. I did NOT do that).

10. Cool crust for several minutes before topping. 

Once crust has cooled you can top it with pizza sauce, a little more cheese (you don't need much, since the crust already has it). Add any toppings you want and broil it in the oven until toppings are done.

You need to cut this pizza into smaller, rather than larger pieces. This makes it easier to hold them in your hand. Very large pieces are slightly droopy. Also if you don't have a food processor, just chop the cauliflower into rice size pieces.

     It was actually very good. I don't think I got enough of the water out, because it fell apart easier then they mentioned. We cut it and ate it with a fork. But the taste was great! My oldest didn't even know it was cauliflower, and now I can eat pizza with the family. 

Your turn! What did you think?

For His Glory,



1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I haven't done this recipe in a while and needed to be reminded of the measurements. I plan to use butternut squash (pureed) as the topping with cheese. Hubby loves it that way!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Your always encouraged to leave your kind and encouraging, thoughts and comments, I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...