Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Choosing Gratitude Day 1



Day 1

Colossians 3:12–17


     I’ve often said that “gratitude is learning to recognize and express 

appreciation for the benefits we have received from God and from others.”

This means constantly being on the lookout for blessings, making each day a 

treasure hunt. It means being intentional about thanking God and others for 

the blessings that come our way.


Overall, how would you rate your “Gratitude Quotient”?

  • I look at the world through grateful eyes and consistently express my gratitude to God and others.
  • I know I’ve been greatly blessed, but I don’t often stop to actually express my gratitude to God and others.
  • To be honest, I had not thought a lot about gratitude until starting this challenge. I’ve got a long way to go to develop a lifestyle of gratitude.
  • I’m a whiner! I tend to focus on my problems and I frequently express them to others.

     Ask the Lord to cultivate in you a more grateful heart over these next 

thirty days. If you have realized that your “Gratitude Quotient” is not 

what it should be, confess your ungrateful spirit to the Lord. Ask Him to 

forgive you and to transform you into a truly thankful person.


     After spending time thinking about WHY the trial(unemployment/marriage 

struggles) is been so hard and overwhelming compared to other trials (losing 

Emma,Josiah, etc). I realized that a big reason is I don't see an end. Yes, 

having no means of bringing in a regular income is crazy stressful in and of 

itself! But having no idea when the end of that will come is HARD! Will God 

provide my husband with a job next week? Three months? 5 years? 


     It would be SOOOOO much easier to deal with if I knew, "He would have 

job in 3 months."My brains says, "Ok 3 more month, only 3 more." But we 

have no idea! 


     And that is where faith comes in...that is where totally and completely 

leaning on Christ...relying on HIM, comes in!


     Lately, I have become a whiner, to myself. Yet at the same time I haven't 

completely forgotten about gratitude. I did/do thank God for things. For 

example a few weeks back it was crazy hot and hot in the apartment. We 

discovered a tucked away place along the local river, which was PERFECT for 

swimming and staying cool with the kids. I was very thankful for that. *smile* 

I have been thankful that when I NEED food or gas, God has provided it! 


I just need to remember to focus more on my blessing, then wants. *wink*


What about you? How did you rate? What did God show you?


For HIS Glory,



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...