Monday, April 9, 2012

After Surgery

Sleeping after surgery.



The surgery is done! Praise the Lord! It was suppose to only take a ½ hour…it took 1 ½ hours!! I was getting really nervous, so my husband and mother in-law prayed with me over the phone and two minutes later the doctor showed up. *smile* The Lord is so good! It took that long because they had a very hard time getting an I.V. into him (evidence of all the red pricks covering his hands).

These two verses came to mind when God so graciously answered our prayer quickly:

Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him. John 9:31
Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3

            Seeing him in the recovery pod for the first time was shocking and nerve rattling. It’s a big room with rows of beds and curtains dividing each bed. There was a flurry of nurses working on getting him settled. One nurse was holding him and he looked completely freaked out (which is so hard to watch with my little baby). I know it was because he was still drugged up, but it was startling. I snuggled with him and got him calmed down. Amazingly he we didn’t cry, they said babies usually scream and cry. He is such a little trooper!

God is so gracious and had Josiah sleep for the most part. I am so thankful; they said he would be cranky. He was only fussy for about a ½ hour after got to the room, but he was hungry. The poor little man hadn’t eaten since 2am!! He fell back asleep after eating. *smile*

I have to share with you how merciful and generous God was (of course He always is), originally we had a roommate and to my worry it wasn’t another baby, but a mom and her son (if it was another baby, then the parent would be in the same boat, with a crying baby). I knew it would be a stressful and long night if Josiah cried a lot and bothered them and kept them up. Well, the women didn’t like sharing the room with us, she kept complaining to the nurse. Wait! I must interject and state that we where there only about a ½ hour!! The nurses where getting us settled in and he woke, was hungry, and there for a little fussy (he was NOT outright crying, just fussing) and then fell back asleep. She wouldn’t leave them alone, so as soon as there was another room available they were moved! Ha! I win! *laugh* (BUT, I also must admit that my pride was wounded and offended that she wanted to move, which was wrong and had to ask God for forgiveness.) We had the room to our self and when he was up during the night I was the only one disturbed!! Praise the Lord! Isn’t it wonderful and amazing that God cares about the little things, such as a momma worrying about disturbing someone else?!

Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people. Psalm 9:11

I’m just going to say it…I struggle with patience! I wish I was more like my husband and patient! I have decided that God is using my hospital visits to teach me patience. *smile* We have had many hospital visits within this past year; between our miscarriage, our oldest getting lyme disease and being hospitalized, my appendicitis, ultimately being put on bed rest in the hospital while pregnant, Josiah’s 4 months in the NICU, and lastly his surgery. Whew! That’s a lot! And to think there will be more surgeries. *smile*

            If you have ever spent anytime in a hospital you will know what I mean when I say that people are ALWAYS coming in!! Between doctors checking in; people cleaning; food being delivered; if you have a roommate, everyone that comes in for them; and the nurses constantly taking vitals. You CAN’T get any rest!! I’m going to tell you a secret….when I don’t get enough sleep I get cranky and impatient! Did I say that out loud?! *smile* Wait…I’m not the only one?? I’m so glad to know that! BUT, that doesn’t make it OK!

            God is a patient god and we are to always be working towards becoming more and more like Him. “But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.”  Tim. 6:11 “Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into patience of Christ.” 2 Thess. 3:5 What is one of the fruits of the Spirit? Patience! (Gal. 5:22)  God doesn’t say, “be patient, unless your tired then forget it.” He tells us to have patience within our trials (2 Thess. 1:4, 2 Cor. 6:4, James 1:3, etc.) and that our trials produce patience (James 1:4).

I had to remember that when the nurse comes in and it wakes me (or the child I am with) that she/he is not intentionally (well, I hope not *wink*) trying to wake us. He/she is just trying to do their job and am thankful they care and are keeping an eye on things. I would catch myself feeling “snippy” and would stop and ask myself if I was reflecting God within my thoughts, attitude, and actions.


What the latham device looks like from the outside.




For His glory, 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...