Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dandelion Wine Day 2



There are MANY, MANY things you can do with Dandelions. Today I am going to share a recipe for Dandelion Wine. I have never made it before and didn't know you could. I came across this recipe in one of my herbal books, so I thought I'd try it.


Dandelion Wine

2 quarts fresh Dandelion flowers (make sure they haven't been sprayed).
2 quarts spring water
1 Orange
1 lemon (wash fruit to remove any chemical residues).
3 cups brown sugar or turbinado
1/2 pack of yeast (1 1/2 tsp)



Carefully remove any trace of stems from flowers (that will be in tomorrow's video). Place in some sort of large crock or non-metallic container. Thinly slice the orange and lemon, and add to the flowers, along with sugar. Bring water to a boil, and pour over the flowers, fruit, and sugar. Cover loosely and let set two days, stirring occasionally.



Water, sugar, dandelion flowers, orange and lemon soaking

After 2 days:
Strain the liquid out of the flowers and fruit into another crock pot style  container (mine is a crock pot).



Squeeze out with spoon.

Next add the yeast and stir until dissolved. 
With yeast.


Yeast dissolved.

Cover loosely again, and allow to ferment in a warm place for two weeks. Mine is sitting in a closet in our dinning room.


Well....that's as far as I've gotten! I will give you the rest of the recipe and will later tell you my outcome. I really wanted to try this. I mean wine from dandelions?? Crazy! I'm curious as to how it will be. Here's the last of the instructions:

Skim off any foam, and carefully pour off wine, trying not to disturb any sediment. Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator in tightly sealed bottles (not sure where I will get some). One cup of crushed fresh Red Raspberries may be used in place of the citrus.

What do you think?? Have you had dandelion wine? Will you try this recipe?


For His Glory,



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...