Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Day I knew...



The date was April 11, 2014....it was the day our amazing, sweet Savannah was born.

 She was my first baby to come late, she was born about week later then her due date. She was also my longest birth! Looking back it makes sense that it took so long and that her head was tilted at a funny angle so that she couldn't come out until we could adjust her.

We can attribute it to her low muscle tone.

Looking back it makes sense that they had to immediately cut the cord and couldn't put her on my chest...that she was so very, very quite...that she was purplish in color.

It WAS her low muscle tone. She needed to be warmed and examined before giving her to me.

Looking back it makes sense why they asked for my husband to wait for the pediatrician to come and examine her and why they asked permission to bring big sister Dakota to the nurses station, when he did show up.

That day I knew, after I got an uneasy feeling when the doctor and nurses whispered while examining her and it felt like everyone held their breath over what reaction my husband and I would have to their news...

When the doctor started talking about physical features that combined was not normal...

That day I knew as I looked down at that precious, wide awake, beautiful, quite, blessing of a bundle...

What it felt like to have a child with Down Syndrome.

That diagnosis that so many people fear and dread. That diagnosis that so many people test to try and determine before birth. That diagnosis that so many (90% or more) people kill their unborn child over...over fear of it.

Later in the quite of the room as I looked down at our beautiful little girl...I thought, so this is what it feels like to have a child with DOWN SYNDROME...it's not so terrifying...it's not something to dread. Savannah is our daughter that God entrusted to us and I am at peace with that gift. 

Why?! Because...

I will praise You, for I am FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made; marvelous are Your works, and my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:14



Saturday is WORLD Down Syndrome Day...will you help me bring awareness? 
Do you know anyone with Down Syndrome? I would love to hear about them and what your plans are (if any) for Saturday.









For His Glory,




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...